Wednesday, March 23, 2011

Dawati

Your Desk:
Or more commonly known as your disaster zone. I typically find desks filled with unnecessary knick knacks, "antiques," and, of course, trash. But it doesn't bother people because it's a hidden mess. But let's talk about the top of your desk. Can you even work on it or is it strewn with foreign papers and old candy wrappers from Halloween? Or maybe you have EVERYTHING you need on your desk, but that's just the problem. I clean my desk similarly to how I clean my locker and car: strip. it. clean. Here's the process:

  1. Take EVERY SINGLE THING out of your desk. Just take it all out.

  2. Here we go again, making piles: Pile 1: DESK and Pile 2: TRASH.

    There are two kinds of people in this world: people that hoard and people that well, don't. You need to find the balance. Here's an easy way to decide what to keep and what to throw away. If you haven't used it in a year and it doesn't have sentimental value, THROW IT AWAY. Truly ask yourself if you would use the item again. SO many times we keep things because it's either hard to let go of or because we THINK we need it. Chances are, you don't need it.


    Things have a tendency to get lost in desks. Obviously, since the contents of your desk are now on the floor, you've found them. So don't just look as some Chapstick and think Yep, Chapstick, I'll be using that in the near future. Open it up and examine how old it is. It may be time for a new stick. Do the same with pens. Don't look at a pen and know you need it; test it out. Additionally, before deciding to keep every pen, pencil, or marker, remember that you can only use one pen at a time, so you really shouldn't need more than two: one for you, one as a backup. If you have more than two pens that are in fine working condition, distribute them to other places: backpacks, purses, office. Feel free to apply this principle to more than just Chapstick and pens.


    PSA ON TRASH: Before throwing EVERYTHING in the trash, decide whether or not it is truly trash or just gently used. You'll find many things that you can donate or give to a friend. It's also important to recycle all those papers you find!


  3. Once everything is sorted, it's time to get organized. There are SO many nifty little desk organizers at any office supply store, but I've cleaned out old cans and Mason jars to hold all the things I need on my desk. Since I am a girl, I decorated them with ribbons and flowers and such, but for the guys, I'd suggest leaving them as the are for a cool "I-really-don't-care" look. Shoe boxes are also fun to play with when it comes to creating your own organizers. Here's what has worked for me:

    On my desk I have 4 soup cans, an oatmeal tin I cut in half, some cereal boxes, and some shoe boxes. Each soup can holds a different writing utensil: pens, pencils, highlighters, markers, and Sharpies. Then in one of my oatmeal tins, since it's larger than the soup cans, I put all my colored pencils. My other, I call a miscellaneous box where I put scissors, tape, a thumb stapler, and any quick tool I might need at my desk. I use the cereal boxes to file papers by what needs to be done THAT day, in the near future, and what has been done. That way, I know that if I go to bed with my first box completely empty, then I'll be good for the next day. Finally, I have a shoebox full of candies and, you guessed it, Chick-fil-a mints. Like I already mentioned, I added my own flair to these items, as can you. Get creative! Use scrapbooking supplies or the comics section of the newspaper--or even the boring section of the newspaper. Use wrapping paper! Use a paper bag from King Soopers. The possibilities are truly endless. You don't need to spend money to be organized.


  4. Don't throw everything in a drawer or on a shelf. Section out the things you want to put in your desk. It will be easier to find and look nicer too! Whatever you put in your desk is up to you. I have a drawer of lip-gloss, one of paper, one of all the electronics I have, and one for all my journals. No one will judge you for what you put in your desk; just make sure it's nice and neat!

Now that everything's in place, you can get to work! (Which we will talk about NEXT week.)

No comments:

Post a Comment